Monday, June 1, 2015

Back again! Depending on God

I realize it's been forever since I last posted. Yes, I've been busy, but that's no excuse.
If you don't follow my other blog, that's cool, but I outlined on there that I will be updating this blog three times a week from here on out. This will happen Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of every week. Usually. I do have two weeks of camp that I'll be at and unable to post, plus a week of vacation in July. But overall, this will be running three days a week. Keep me accountable with it!

Now! On to the devo post!

The other day I was mowing, and I was thinking about how, without me, the grass would not get cut. I'm the one that fills the mower with gas. If it wasn't for that, it wouldn't run.
I'm the one that starts the mower. If it wasn't for that, it wouldn't be able to cut.
I'm the one that pushes it around the yard. If it wasn't for that, it wouldn't move and cut.
I'm the one that stops and empties the bag of grass clippings. Else it would get clogged up and leave extra grass every where.
I'm the one that cuts the grass. If it wasn't for me, it would be a jungle.

The grass and it's upkeep are dependent on me.

What I really was thinking about when I was cutting the grass through is how, without God, I would be unable to do anything. I am dependent on God.
Without him, nothing would have been created (John 1.3, Colossians 1.16, Romans 11.36).
So without him, I would not exist. But in order for me to get here, he had to create a place for me to be. And people to lead to my eventual existence. And food for me to eat and water to drink and a people to create a place for me to stay and air to breathe. Without God and everything he has put in my life, I would have a miserable, and short, existence.

The other day after I got done mowing I was reading Acts 17, Paul in Athens. One of my favorite chapters of all time, and I come across this: "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he serve by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and EVERYTHING."

Paul here states to the Greeks that God has given us EVERYTHING! From life, to breath, to food and water. All of it has come from God. Without God we would have nothing. Even those that don't believe in him are dependent on him, they just don't know it. When I'm having a bad day, when I'm just angry at everything, I don't run to other people to make me feel better. I'm already mad, anything you do or say is just going to make it worse. But if I run to God, I find a place of safe refuge, a soothing pool of tranquility and peace. And it is there in his arms, in his temple, up his holy hill that I find the calming tones from my heavenly father saying, "It's alright son. It's fine. I got you now. Relax, rest in my work."

My dependence on God goes from my very existence to everything I do. I need comfort, I depend on God. I need advice, I depend on God. I need support, I depend on God.

This week, as you come to your wits end I implore you to run to God, and depend on him. See how your week changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment