Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Foundation

The Church and all of Christianity are based on one thing, and one thing only; but not just a thing, but a person. That person is Jesus Christ. The root of “Christianity” is Christ, the Greek for Messiah, the Hebrew for Savior. There is long explanation about what a messiah really is, and while intriguing, the definition of “savior” will suffice for now. But the belief of who Jesus is, the life that he lived, the death that he had, and the resulting resurrection all cumulate for the basis of Christianity. Without Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah, the Savior, Christianity would not exist. Our faith is in this truth, and this truth is the foundation of all that we will build upon. To have a good sturdy structure we need to have a firm, strong foundation. Jesus is that foundation.

Here’s few examples. When a house, or any building for that matter, is being built, what is the first thing done? I grew up in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio in a subdivision, and when I was a kid a lot of houses were being built. So me and my friends, being kids and love doing things we were not allowed to do, went and played in them. We would go to a house that was about to be built, and jump into the basement, which always started as just a big hole in the ground. As we would play and the houses would be built, we would see the foundations of the house being put together. First would always be the digging of the hole (the best part to play in). Then they would pour concrete at the bottom. Concrete is strong once dried, and becomes a big square rock. Or rectangle. Then they would put up the walls to the basement with more concrete, or mortar, I could never tell the difference, and cinder blocks, just more concrete shaped into blocks. And they would put more concrete down the holes of the cinder blocks to reinforce the walls and foundation of the house. This created an incredibly strong foundation, something that a fairly large house could be built on; something to create a good place to live.

Another example. A friend from college told me of a school being built in her home town. They first tore up the ground where the school was going to be built, and then after a while started building. They did not let the ground, and therefore foundation, settle. She told me about how already, after two years the school was beginning to sink in places, with students in it. The people building the school never let the ground settle, allowing for a firm foundation. How easy is this to tie into talking about Christ as the foundation?
When we build our faith structure, and the Church, we need to tear away the old and destroy the old foundation of our lives. Paul talks about this very thing saying, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5.17 ESV). For us to build the Church on a good foundation, we have to build a good, firm, strong foundation in our own lives. We have to let the old foundation be destroyed, so that the new one, Jesus, can come.

My hope is that you already have the foundation of Jesus in your life, but if not, then we need to establish that. 1 Corinthians 3.11 says, “For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” We see here that Jesus has already been laid as the foundation, foundation for what though? Well obviously the Church, but later we will look at more verses from this chapter, and build on the foundation we are building now (see what I did there?). So this foundation is Jesus, and has already been laid, but by who? “…Built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone” (Eph. 2.20). Jesus was the first stone laid of this foundation. But I said he is the entire foundation did I not? Here’s how I see it.

Jesus is fully God and fully man, being human in nature and divine in character. So Jesus probably has a lot of different characteristics. On a side note, I think God has multiple personalities, until I get a divine revelation or some smart person tells me otherwise that this is wrong, we will continue with this thought. My thought process behind this is that God can connect to each and every one of us in a deeply personal, intimate way. One person, with one personality cannot do that, but one person and different personalities to connect with everyone can. God remains who He is, but I feel there is something behind the name that He gives to Moses when He is asked His name.

“Then Moses said to God, ‘If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to you,” and they ask me, “What is his name?” what shall I say to them?’ God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And he said, ‘Say this to the people of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you.” (Exodus 3.13-14)
“I AM WHO I AM” is a powerful name. I have read through the Bible at least once, and that was just to say I have read it. I want to read through it again and every time ask God who He is, and see that He tells me there. “Are you my Father?” “Yes.” “Are you my rock?” “Yes.” “Are you creator?” “Yes.” Throughout the Bible we get an insight into who/what God is. I could go on and on about who/what God is, but by now I hope my point is made clear. God is a multitude of things to us, each one of us may see God as the same type of figure, but we still all see Him differently. Take God the Father for example. I may see God as my Father, and so might someone else, and someone else, and someone else. But each one of us sees him differently as a Father, because we each see a father figure in a different light.

Now back to my original point: What does this have to do with Jesus as the foundation of the Church? Looking back at the verse from Ephesians, we see that he is the “chief cornerstone” But he is also the entire foundation. Jesus, being fully God, I believe is the “chief cornerstone” of all of Christianity. The cornerstone in buildings is the first stone laid and all the other stones are set by that one stone. So when we have the faith, and understanding, as much as we can understand God, that Jesus is fully God, we have our first stone of our foundation placed. After that stone is placed, we then see what, and who, else Jesus is. This is shown to us primarily in the Gospels, but also in most of the Epistles. Jesus, like God, because he is also God, has multiple characteristics for us to identify with. All of these characteristics of Jesus stem off of the stone that he is also God, creating a foundation that we are built off of. The more people in the Church, the more foundational stones there will be, and the stronger they will be, giving us the chance to make an even bigger and better Church.

Now I may have gone too fast there, and maybe you do not understand how I got that Jesus being God is the chief cornerstone. Well luckily Jesus has shown that to us already.

“When Jesus came to the district of Caesarea Philippi, he ask his disciples, ‘Who do people say that the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ He said to them ‘But who do you say I am?’ Simon Peter replied, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ And Jesus answered him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but by my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16.13-18)

Alright, time for more confusion, then hopefully clarification. Peter in the Greek is Petros, which means or sounds close to “rock.” So here we see Peter pipe up and say that Jesus is the Son of God and the Christ. Jesus in turn renames Simon to Peter and then says “on this rock I will build my church.” Now question. Is Jesus going to build his entire Church on one man? And if you know the story of Peter at all, is Jesus going to build it on the man who denied him three times? No. Absolutely not. The rock that Jesus is building his Church on is the truth that Peter spoke, the confession he made, that Jesus is the Son of God and the Christ. This is the chief cornerstone that has been laid for the foundation of the Church: That Jesus is the Son of God, making him God himself. (More evidence given in John 1.1-18. Key to this passage: The Word=Jesus)
Wrap Up

So all of this evidence given, we see that Jesus is the foundation of Christianity, the Church, and our faith (faith bringing us to Christianity). So what does this mean for us as the Church? Well first off, it lays a base for us to build on for later topics. The Church as a whole is built on this foundation of Jesus, and a firm understanding of Jesus being our foundation gives us a firm base to build on. I know I seem to be repetitive here, but I think if I put it different ways it will be better understood.

Now I challenge you: Allow yourself to be broken, and build your life on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment