Monday, August 31, 2015

A Psalm a day keeps your brain in pain

I don't REALLY mean that title. But in the same way I kind of do, for myself. Everyone has things they really like in the Bible, while everyone has things they don't. I just read in one of my text books about a possible purpose for genealogies in the Bible. It was short and only an example, but it was in there! Some people like the history in the Old Testament, seeing the changing of Israel over time and seeing God's plan come to completion. Other's enjoy prophets, the imagery, the analogies, the message, the points in the text, sometimes obvious other times less evident. Personally I really enjoy the Epistles. They're full of theology and while reading them I take my time to find out what is really being said in the complicated language that it's in. On the flip side, a lot of people have things they don't like in the Bible. Not that they think it's bad, but they just have trouble with it. For me, it's the Psalms. They're very poetic and I have a hard time with that. So to attempt to remedy this I decided to read a Psalm a day with my other reading taking me to one OT chapter, one NT chapter, and a Psalm. I've been doing this for a while now, but I've had periods of not reading, or skipping some, so today I just read Psalm 57.

But the one that I want to look at today is Psalm 39. That was one of the days where I actually got a good bit out of it. I encourage you to go read it now, and tell me if you see this outline that I saw.

This is a Psalm of David, when and why it was written I have no idea.

But in verses 1-3 I saw David saying this: That he is discontent with God. He kept himself mute, trying not to say anything against God, but his anger grew and finally he spoke to God. Verse 4 shows us what he said, which came down to he wanted to be humbled. "Let me know how fleeting I am!"

Verses 5-6 have David acknowledging how men are truly nothing compared to the only thing that matters, that is God.

7-11 shows him confessing that he is absolutely powerless in the grand scheme of things, even in saving himself.

Which takes us to 12-13 where David begs God for his salvation, peace, and joy.

Sometimes when we read, things are plain, other times they make no sense. We take them as they come and trust that God is telling us exactly what we need to hear when we need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment