Monday, December 22, 2014

Romans 9

Read Romans 9

While taking a class on Romans I had four professors tell me, "Yeah when you get to chapters 9-11 of Romans you're going to just pass over it because we can't figure out what Paul's saying in relation to everything else." And we did just that. Chapters 9-11 have trees which just don't fit into the forest that is the book of Romans. But let's just look at the trees.

Chapter 8 finishes up with Paul writing about the inseparable love God has for us, his children. Paul begins with, "I'm not lying, I'm being completely honest with what I'm writing, as God as my witness."

Paul writes of how the Jews are damned because of their lack of faith in Christ, and how he wishes he could take their place so that they could be saved. Why is this? Paul's a Jew believe it or not, and he cares for his people, which is why I think chapter 9 is written the way it is and still fits in the theology of free will and not election. In verses 4 and 5 we see that Paul thinks that the Israelites should have grace because of what they had in the past, almost seeming as if Paul is still struggling with his faith, that he thinks that someone deserves grace. But he knows that no one deserves grace, as he pointed out in Romans 1-3, all have sinned, and in Romans 5 where he says the sin of 1 is enough to condemn, and those two tell us no one deserves grace, because if they deserved grace they wouldn't need it.

Paul continues on with Israel, writing that those who come from Israel do not always belong to Israel. This is the idea that we, Christians, are the New Israel. Those who make up the New Israel are not (always) Jewish by birth, but they are (always) Jewish by the promise. By the promise found in Genesis 12.1-3 we are the offspring of Abraham. The promise that says, "I will make you into a great nation, and the world will be blessed by you" (Mike paraphrasing). The fulfillment of that promise is Jesus, the blessing to the world, the savior of all. And it is by and through him that we are counted as offspring of Abraham and children of God.

Here's where things get disputed with free will and election, and this is my two cents worth. Take it or leave it but this is what I pull out of the scripture.

"And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad--in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls--she was told, "The older will serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." Romans 9.10-13

Here's what I see. Paul is writing that Esau was elected, by God, to serve Jacob, his younger brother which goes against the culture of the time. What we see in the text is Jacob steals from Esau, twice, and then runs so he doesn't get killed. He gets married, has lots of kids, then has to run away from his father in law back to his home land where he ran away from his brother, who still lives there. Growing up Esau did the hunting and Jacob did the house work, showing that both served each other as their gifts allowed. And when Jacob returns after many years we see that 1: he has been blessed by God with wealth and family and 2: So has Esau. Then we have no record of Jacob being served or lording over his brother after his return. So here's my question for you: Did God lie and Esau didn't serve Jacob? No, I just proved that they served each other. But also, Jacob ran away after cheating his brother out of his birth right and blessing, so God supports liars and cheaters? No that's against his character. But instead he blessed both brothers, and chose Jacob to establish his line to bless the entire world. As for those he calls, as seen in my logic of the last chapter all are called.

Then there is the last bit there which says, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." This is taken from the prophet Malachi. If we look at the context of where this verse comes from, which we should always do, we see that God is saying through Malachi to Israel, "I gave you every reason to trust me, worship me, and properly offer to me, but you didn't. I loved you and my love made it look like I hate your brother, yet you still can't trust me." Then God goes on to talk about how angry and how he is going to punish his elect. So if that's how God's going to treat those he elected because of their sin, what's the difference between them and the non-elect? I'll stick to grace and Jesus.

I don't mean to belittle the idea of election, but I do not see how it lines up with the character of God. Sure we can sit here and say, "well election is written in the Bible and free will is not," but when we look at the character of God and put things in context I can't see how election works. But that's my thoughts on the matter. We'll continue chapter 9 tomorrow because it is a lot. Enjoy, and I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment