Friday, May 2, 2014

Be Fearless

In the movie "The Knights Tale" there is a commission in it that starts off, "Be without fear, in the face of your enemies."

Liam Neeson, my all time favorite actor, says this first in the movie while he's dying, and knighting his son. What this has to do with anything, I don't know. I'm sure if I dug, I could pull something up. But that's not what I want to talk about.

We all have fears, just like how we all struggle with things. Maybe your weakness is fear, who knows! Only you and God do. But we all have fears. Mine are spiders, snakes, heights, lack of control.

I got to thinking today, in the beginning there were no fears. In perfection, the Garden of Eden, where God was our King and our Friend, walking among Adam and Eve, they had no fear. Animals were their friends, there was no death, no sickness, no pain, no sadness, nothing to be afraid of.

Then sin broke the world, and suddenly there were things to be scared of. Heights because we can fall from them and die. Snakes, spiders, tigers, bears, bugs, frogs, whatever, can kill us, and we fear that.

Think about it, if the Fall never happened, there would be absolutely nothing to fear. Yet now we all fear because there are things that have negative consequences and we know what those consequences are. If there was no Fall, we could have every animal as a pet. We could cliff jump with no worry of dying. We could live fearlessly.

If God was our King, as he was in Eden, we would have no fears.

But he is our King. That's what it means to be in the Kingdom of God. Jesus' main message was that the Kingdom was coming, and was here. There is a lot into that, but the main thing is that it was an actual Kingdom. He is our King, he is Lord of our life. Just as it was in Eden, where we can have an up close, personal relationship with God, while he is our King. I don't think the Queen of England has a personal relationship with all of her subjects, I know the president doesn't. I never met one president in my life. I work with people in their 70's and they've never met a president, let alone have a friendship with one.

Yet this is how it is with God, and this is how it was at the beginning.

Lord of our life, King over us.

And casting away our fear.

He has our back, he is on our side, what is there to fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment