Thursday, May 1, 2014

Let's Get into It


This is truth. We all need to keep our bodies in shape, else they turn on us and kill us. (Basically that’s what happens.) So instead of giving you a long drawn out devotional to do, I’m making you do one yourself. I will do a different one as an example. Sound good? Good! (Haha, you can’t argue with me!)

Alright, I will do Psalm 15. It’s short and I like it. Basically what I’m going to do is read it, and comment on it, and probably do some cross referencing to other scripture. Then you’re going to do it! Sound’s fun right?!

“LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
            Who may live on your holy hill?

He whose walk is blameless
            And who does what is righteous,
Who speaks the truth from his heart
            And had no slander on his tongue,
Who does his neighbor no wrong
            And casts no slur on his fellowman,
Who despises a vile man
            But honors those who fear the LORD,
Who keeps his oath
            Even when it hurts,
Who lends his money without usury
            And does not accept a bribe against the
                        Innocent.

He who does these things
            Will never be shaken.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asking God who can be in his presence? Who can be around God?
Who has the right to be and is worthy to be around God?

Well the author goes and answers himself.
He who:
-Is blameless
-Does what it righteous
-Speaks truth
-Doesn’t slander
-Doesn’t do anything against his neighbor
-Doesn’t slur anyone at all
-Hates the wicked
-Honors the righteous (those that fear God)
-Keeps his word (even when it’s easier not to)
-Lends money without over charging interest
-Protects the innocent

The one that does all this won’t ever lose his footing, will never be shaken.

Who do I know that is like this? Who can do all of this? No one. Roms. 3.23. No one is worthy of being near God.

Now how did I do that? I just read the text. It’s all right there, plain as day. There was one word I didn’t know, “usury” but I looked it up. It didn’t take but 30 seconds. I could have even just looked at a different translation and seen what that said there.

I have a chair in my room where I do most of my reading and blog posting. Within arms-reach (not including the computer) I have at least 6 different translations of the Bible. If I don’t understand something in one, I look at another. Always use a Bible that you’ll read, that is rule number one when choosing a translation. Rule number two is always have other translations to help you understand. I know people will disagree with this, but the Message is a great one to use. Sure they miss the mark on some things, but it’s easy to understand and really helps convey the spirit of the text as opposed to the words. These are tools to help you understand the text in a new way.

Now, the last thing I did after I went through the text and basically just said what it said, was I related it to me. I looked at it, saw what it meant to the original reader, then saw what it meant to me.

The text says, “Who can be near God?” then lists off a ton of different attributes that are needed to be near God. And no one could do every single one of those. That person will not stumble. Do you stumble? I do. Every day. I can’t make this list. No one can make that list. Romans 3.23 tells us that. “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Everyone falls short of his glory, and if we look at the OT we see that the glory of God is his presence. We all fall short of it. So this text is more of a reality check than anything else. The author (I can’t remember who actually wrote it) is telling us, none of us are worthy of being near God. No one can be in his sanctuary or on his holy hill.

Except Jesus. He’s perfect in every day, and has made it so that we can be in God’s presence. He took our place so that we can take his.

Now, it’s your turn! Read Psalm 18. It’s a long one but probably my favorite Psalm. Just look to see what it says. Look to see what David calls God. See if God fits any of those labels for you. And don’t bother lying about it and say yes to all of them. You are only lying to God at that point and that’s just stupid.

So now go, and have fun!

(This looked a lot better on my Word Document.)

No comments:

Post a Comment