Thursday, May 15, 2014

What to Do With Your Tools

Yesterday I talked about tools to use to understand what you read in the Bible. Today I want to do a short post of what you can do with what you read in the Bible.

As you may know by now, I've been reading the Bible, and I'm around 2 Samuel now. there we follow David, and his rule. Last night I read about him and Bathsheba. For those of you who don't know the story, I suggest you go read 2 Samuel 11 and 12. For the short version: David gets a woman to cheat on her husband, gets her pregnant, tries to get the husband to "get her pregnant," fails, has the husband killed in battle. Well God of course knows all this, and there are consequences for David's actions. The child that is born to David gets sick, and dies. While the child is sick, David fasts and prays to God to spare the child, but the baby stll dies. After the child dies, David ends his fast, which at the time is a sign of mourning, and goes to worship God in the temple.

David is at one of his lowest points in his life, and he goes to worship God in that moment.

He worships God for the death of his child.

Today, I was in a foul mood. It happens. I was working, and people were tying up traffic just to tie up traffic, it was easy to see watching what they did, how they acted, and seeing where they were looking, trying to find ways to make others angry. Well I lost my temper a bit, it's something I struggle with and am still working on. A lot.

But while driving and trying to keep my temper under control, I thought of this story, how David worshiped God when most would curse him. So I began to try and do what David did, and worshiped God. Not singing praise songs, or listening to Christian music. I turned off radio, and talked to God for a minute, asking him to help me be the best and most curteous driver I could so thatI can worship in that action, to do the best I can for his glory.

Instantly my foul mood began to fade away, and I was driving less aggressively. I began to worship God through my thoughts and actions, even though people were driving me up a wall.

All because I read a passage and understood it.

This is why I want you to learn to read and understand the Bible. Little things, random things may remind you of what you have read, and it effects you, and changes how you live. People see this, and see Christ through this.

This is what we are called to do, to show Christ to all, in every way we can.

So get in there, see what God can show you, and live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment