Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Equal and Opposite Reactions

So while in high school I took a year of simple physics because I'm not good at science. One thing that we obviously went through are Newton's Three Laws of Motion. When I was taking karate in the past we talked about the 3rd Law a lot as well.

What Newton's 3rd Law of Motion says is this: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

If you're pushing forward against a block, you're also pushing away from the ground with equal force. If you throw a punch with one arm the other goes back with the same force.

What does this have to do with Christians?

1 Corinthians 4.12b-13: When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.

Well that sucks.

I don't know about you, but I've been attacked for my faith before. Not in a major way, but I have endured some slander and ridicule for my beliefs. There was a force that was pushing against me, and the only thing I could do was react, in an equally measured way opposite of what they were doing.

I'm told that I'm stupid for believing in a god, I give my reasons for my belief.
I'm called a bigot, one who is intolerant of another view, I tell of how I'm open for other views on different events such as the beginning of all things.
I'm told I'm intolerant of same sex marriage, I show how I'm accepting of all people no matter their religion, sexual orientation, or political views.

I'm not a push over, I'm not one that takes things lying down. I push back which someone pushes against me, I give them a reaction, but it's not full of hate and fear and intolerance of another view like theirs is.

I have been saved by Jesus from my sin, my anger, my need to always be right. I have been given peace by him, and now I attempt to pass it on to those around me.

No  matter what you go through in the coming week, months, years, no matter how bad people are to you; bless, endure, entreat. We may be the scum of the world, the least respected at times, but I'm alright with that. My citizenship is not here, but in Heaven.

When they attack you with hate, attack them with love. Always pass on the love you have received from Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment