Monday, July 13, 2015

Let's get practical

So today I want to do something a bit different. Want to give tips and tricks, or to use a popular term, hacks, to reading the Bible.

Today I was reading through Zechariah. I have a strange infatuation with the Minor Prophets. Just really enjoy reading them on a regular basis. Anyways, as I'm reading it I'm seeing connections to other Minor prophets that I've read.

Today I just read chapter 10 and I noticed that it was very reminiscent of the entirety of Zephaniah. The point that I got out of Zephaniah was the future restoration and characteristics of Israel. Really the New Israel, or us Christians. Not just in chapter 10 though, but also chapter 8. I also noticed that the first half of chapter 9 sounded a lot like Amos. And looking forward to chapter 11 sounds a lot like Amos as well, all about justice from God.

All throughout scripture connections can be made between books, chapters, verses, passages, etc. God speaks to us in this way. While reading Zechariah I made a connection between 6.12-13 and Ephesians 2, which I connected with 1 Corinthians 3, Ezra, 1 and 2 Samuel, and 1 Peter 2. It's a running theme about the Temple.

How did I make these connections? Well first off God is revealing them to me which I greatly appreciate. But I also take notes, write, underline, and draw in my Bible. You can always tell when I read a book because 1 I check it off at the table of contents, but also the pages are usually pretty torn up with ink. There is one page that is literally torn up because my cat decided to attack it. But whatever. Little demon.

Like I've said before and I'll say again, I love getting into the Word. I love growing in the Knowledge of God. And one of the best ways to do that is to visibly wrestle with the text. When you get into the Bible, and I highly encourage you to do so, grab a pen that you're going to like, because you'll be using it a lot, and run it dry. God a question? Put brackets around it and put a question mark in the margin. Like what something says? Underline it. See a connection to something else you've read? Underline and write on the side the connecting scripture. Idea for a Bible study? Find a blank page or semi blank page and write it down with the scripture. Can you summarize a verse or concept? Do it.

Get that pen to bleed on those pages. When it's all filled up grab another Bible and get to work on that one. Get into the Word every day, wrestle with the text, cover those pages in notes and questions, underlines and highlights.

Then see how you relationship with God grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment