Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Conversations with Ourselves

Social media is a fantastic invention. We have a chance to connect with friends, family, and complete strangers from all over the world with just a few mouse clicks and key strokes. But some jokingly say, especially about twitter, that it is nothing more than having a conversation with yourself hoping others will join in.

We tweet, post statuses, share, retweet, like, favorite, reblog things all day every day hoping that someone will pay attention and acknowledge what we have posted. We crave the attention of others.

But why?

There are many different answers to this, but my conclusion is that there are two main reasons.

1) We are made in the image of God, and therefore crave other people’s attention, just as God demands ours. We crave as Andy Warhol put it, “Fifteen minutes of fame.” And social media is an easy to do achieve that. (On a side note I will explore God demanding our glory more in depth at a later time.)
2) We bring our problems to the internet hoping for sympathy/help/attention from others. I cannot tell how many times I have seen people post things on Facebook and Twitter merely stating, “My day is terrible.” Then I watch the comments to see people bring comfort to them, but the OP never actually tells what the problem is.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have no problems with social media, wanting to feel important, and going to others for help. Absolutely no problem with those things.
I even do these things myself. I may not have thousands of followers or Facebook friends. I may not have tweets that were read on late night shows or favorited hundreds of times. But I still do them, to let those who may have some care for me to keep them updated, much like the purpose of this blog. (But with this instead of keeping people updated about myself I’m trying to help them grow in Christ.)

But here is my issue with social media.

It is often our first go to in any sort of time.

I got the job!
            Tweet.
My uncle just had a heart attack and is in the hospital.
            Update Facebook.
God did this super awesome thing for me!
            Tweet and Facebook it.

As soon as something happens people jump on an app and tell the world about it.
I’m guilty of this much as anyone else. I recently got a job, and first person I told was Twitter. Then tweeted about how the first person I told was Twitter.

I didn’t first thank God for the opportunity that I had.

Matthew 6.8,33: …your Father knows what you need before you ask him…but seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
1 Peter 5.7: casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Psalm 34.1: I will praise the LORD at all times; his praise will constantly be in my mouth
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Proverbs 3.5-6: Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Whenever something happens in our life our first response if to share it with others, either in person, through text, phone call, and most times online.

We are told to pray without ceasing. Prayer is just talking to God, just as we talk with ourselves. But instead of hoping that someone will join in the conversations with ourselves, we will instead have a conversation with God, who wants this conversation to happen.

Instead of trying to get others attention, go to the one who’s attention you already have.
Instead of worrying about people noticing you, replying to you, commenting on your status, liking or retweeting you,  go to the one who would blow up your news feed, favorite, retweet, like, or comment on everything you throw up.
And yes, God can see your Facebook and Twitter accounts.


Instead of constantly having conversations with ourselves hoping others join in, lets first have a conversation with God, then worry about letting the rest of the world know what we just had for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment