Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Firstborn of God

Recently I have been reading through the Old Testament for my journey of reading the Bible in a year. While reading, my main focus is finding out as much as I can about God; who he is, what his character is like, his many self-given titles. Well not too long ago while I read, I caught how God demanded that the firstborns of all are to be his (Exodus 13.1-2: The LORD said to Moses, “Consecrate to me all the firstborn. Whatever is the first to open the womb among the people of Israel, both of man and o beast, is mine.”) Then I thought of how Jesus was God’s own firstborn (Colossians 1.15: He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.), given up for us (Romans 5.5,8: For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.). Then my crazy mind went even further and thought of why God does things: To make himself known, to give himself glory (Exodus 9.16: “But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.”).

This last item, God’s purpose for his actions, is something that was revealed to me by a man named David Platt in his book Radical. I don’t know the exact page, but that was something that stuck with me. God does things for him to be glorified, to receive praise. Now this seems selfish, but Platt’s point is “who else is worthy of the entire worlds praise?” Now all of this ties together.

God demanded all the firstborns to be dedicated to him. When it came time for Jesus to come on the scene, God dedicated his firstborn to us, so that we may be saved, because of his great love for us. And when we accept his love, grace, efforts to get us to come to him, we should be humbled by all that he did for us. When we truly come to the realization of the extent of his love, how can we not go out and tell the world about it?
God has this funny way of working, doing things for us, so that we see his love. And when we see his love, the only logical responses to it are: accept it, and tell others about it. This is kind of how I see Jesus when he passes on his mission in Matthew 28.19-20, “You guys have seen me live, die, and come back. You know who I am, you believe it. You have seen the love and care the Father has for all people. Now go tell the world about it, and make them feel that love. Make disciples of all nations, baptize them, teach them all that I taught you. Bring them into the family, and teach them the Father’s love he has for them.”

A final note.

You’re walking across the street, not paying attention, and a car is hurtling towards you, you freeze with fear. Out of nowhere a stranger pushes you out of the way, taking the hit that was coming for you. Are you not going to tell everyone how some random stranger saved you?

Romans 5.10: For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

God fired a bullet at us, the just response for our sin, and yet God, in the form of Jesus, jumped in front of that bullet to save us.


God gave his firstborn for us, so that we may live and tell the world of this person that saved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment