Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Nazi Zombies

I like playing Nazi Zombies on the original Black ops. Old, I know, but I don't care. I prefer it.

My friend taught me this trick, that if you can do it right, you can actually last a long time. But it got me thinking about something I learned in a class.

It's a experiential learning experiement. You get someone to complete a seemingly pointless, mundane, simple action again and again until they got it down perfectly. Then you throw a mouse trap into it. The point being that sometimes God teaches us something, and has us do again and again until we've mastered it, and we think the entire time that it's rather pointless to do this thing.

Maybe it's a certain way to pray.
A person we have to befriend.
A job we have to take.
A place we have to go.

And we do this action, time and time again, running around in circles killing zombies with a shotgun, then turning around to spray a bunch behind us with an RPK.

It seems pretty easy right?

But then comes the mouse trap.
Then you get surrounded.

You're stuck. Something terrible has happened that you have never experienced before and you have no idea what to do about it.

Well crap. Might as well give up and die.

But then you remember, God taught me this thing.

I thought it was going to be completely useless.
I thought that person was punishment in my life.
I thought that job was just to make money.
I thought that place was just a random hole in the wall.

But it turns out to be exactly what you need.
It turns out to be the monkey, drawing away the zombies, helping you get away to continue business.

Man God, that worked out perfectly. It's almost as, if...you knew what you were doing..........

I don't know what God is teaching you.
I don't know what tools he is teaching you to use.

But never, EVER, think that it's pointless.

Because God always has a point.
God always has a plan.
God always has your best interests at heart.

Something to try.

A while back I read a book called Jesus Is _____ by Judah Smith. Fantastic book. You should probably put it on your to read list. And yes, I expect you to be reading.

But in there, Smith talks about John chapter 11, when Lazarus dies, and his sisters send a note to Jesus which simply reads, "Lord the one you love is sick."

How is that not a prayer?
Smith then challenges the reader to try praying like that.
"Lord the one you love is _______"
Tired.
Stressed.
Lonely.
In a dark place.
Confused.
In need of you.

Find what new thing God is teaching you, be it a new way to pray, a new way to study the Bible, a new way to interact with people, and master it.

You never know when you'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment