Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Struggle

As you get older you look back on your life and see all the stupid things you’ve done. Sometimes you even do it when you’re younger and think, “Man, I’m a freaking idiot.”

I was talking to someone once, he’ll remain nameless, and I was giving him some advice for ministry. I don’t think he took it too close to heart because he was about to graduate and knew everything (silly kids). Anyways, I was talking to him about knowing what you struggle with.

This is advice that is found in scripture, and is good for all Christians to know.

David had a problem with sex (Bathsheba).
Moses had a problem with public speaking (I can’t speak!).
Gideon had a problem with self-esteem (I’m the youngest of my family in the lowest clan!)
Abraham had a problem with lying (Oh she’s my sister…).
Jacob had a problem with tricking (Yeah I’m Esau).

Everyone struggles with something. I had someone tell me once before that there are some people who don’t. I laughed in his face at his ignorance. Everything that we struggle with is sin, and everyone sins (Romans 3.23). Everyone has something that they struggle with.

Everyone.

Who are your heroes of the Faith? What is it you think they struggle with?
Your parents, your church family, your friends, your ministers, what do they struggle with?
Do they hide it from those around them, trying to put on a fake mask making everything think they’re perfect? If that’s the case I’d wage they struggle with their reputation, wanting to seem better than others.

I know my weakness, I know where satan tries to get a foothold in my life, I know what I struggle with.

I have some that know, and they know so they can keep me accountable. I’m not saying to announce it to the world, but people do need to be aware of what you struggle with so that they can help you overcome it.

But the thing is, you will never fully defeat it. It will always be there. Eventually you will be able to control it as opposed to it controlling you, but it’ll still be there.

So I want you to find what you struggle with, look through scripture and see what people there struggled with and if it’s similar to yours, see how they handled it. And find people you trust, people you know will help you, and tell them what your weakness is.


The struggle is real. (I hate that phrase.)

No comments:

Post a Comment